Just Rannin' Around

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My hair grows like a weed!

Yesterday I had four inches chopped off the back of my hair. It was enough hair to cover the floor and one could probably make a wig for a small child. However, even with the four inches off, my hair still reaches the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Since I was little I loved my long hair. As soon as I was old enough to take care of it myself, it was never shorter than reaching the top of my pants. It was a security blanket and comfort just to know that it was there. Growing up in St. George where the average temperature during the summer was 100 degrees Fahrenheit, it probably would have caused much less discomfort to have it short like everyone else. I just couldn’t do it.

The first time that I got my hair cut, not just the usual three-inch trim, I cried for three days each morning while I got ready. I went from waist long to just under my chin. Why such a dramatic change? As much as I loved my hair it was causing issues. From about age 13, I started getting major migraine headaches that would put me in a dark, silent room with a cold washrag over my eyes for long hours.

It wasn’t until I was in college and one day at work those miserable feelings of another one started coming on that a woman I worked with suggested that it might be the weight of my hair causing the migraines. Not my hair! I couldn’t cut it and live as happy a life without it. While I was in excruciating pain later I decided that I would have to try cutting it as a solution.

I shed the weight off my head and amazingly it also did away with the aching in my brain. Every once in a while I let my hair get out of control and grow longer than I should and it never fails that I end up with another migraine that kindly reminds me that I have to get rid of it. Even as attached to as I become, I now logically realize that I can cut it loose and it will always quickly grow back. Just another thing in life that must be maintained to be kept healthy and from causing me headaches!

7 Comments:

  • I hate it when you have done something so dramatic to your hair that it really makes you cry. I have had that experience a few times.
    Good thing that your hair still is so beautiful no matter what length it is. I'm just sayin'.

    By Blogger Sarah, At 12:09 PM  

  • I actually have that same problem, but with my nose hair.

    If it grows too long, I get a headache because it's so heavy. My neck starts to hurt from holding my head up straight. Maybe I should try growing a mullet to compensate.

    Plus, blowing my nose is almost a lost cause. Nothing comes out, but it feels like I'm still plugged because of all the hair in there. So I blow again. Nothing doing.

    I wish there were another solution... Wax, maybe?

    By Blogger Pavlov Stowardi, At 1:51 PM  

  • I have a great pair of tweezers that you may borrow as long as you boil them in water before giving them back!

    By Blogger B, At 2:41 PM  

  • so my mom cut my hair when I was in 2nd grade because I hate her to brush it. I looked like the talk show host Sally Jessie Raphael....oh and believe me I cried myself to sleep everynight.

    By Blogger Some call me MiMi...but you can call me whatever you want., At 3:24 PM  

  • I've never cried over my hair before. Probably because it's never been long enough for anything as dramatic as you're all talking about. My hair doesn't grow very fast or very thick. It takes me a year to grow it to my shoulders!

    By Blogger Heidi, At 4:14 PM  

  • Hair down to your pants? Don't you get you hair caught in the toilet?

    By Blogger David Cho, At 11:49 PM  

  • No, but I always had to remember to flip it to the front so I didn't sit on it...it is a habit that I still haven't broken even though I haven't had my hair that long in almost 9 years.

    By Blogger B, At 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones