Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Ever just want to run away?

I have. I have had grand visions of one night just packing a bag and running away. I could be a bartender in one of those little huts on the beach on an exotic island. Of course they would have to be willing to hire someone who has never had a drink in her life and never will, but I am pretty convincing when it comes to employment. I have also thought about moving to Europe. That would be exciting! I would have to learn a new language, find my way around a new country and get to meet all kinds of new people.

When I was little and was upset with my mom the threat of, “fine I’m running away” would spew out of my mouth. My mom would follow that statement with, “Would you like me to help you pack? Remember you can only take what belongs to you.” She eventually had to stop using this line on me because she realized that I wasn’t scared of being away. I was too willing to make friends with perfect strangers. I wouldn’t stop at the street corner before I couldn’t see the house anymore.

As I have threatened to move far, far away as I have become older my mom’s new response is, “have you asked permission?” I know that the only thing that has stopped me from moving to some random place on this earth is that it hasn’t been right (much to the relief of my mom who doesn’t even really like me living four hours away). Don’t get me wrong, I love this great state and I adore being close to my family who I love more than anything, but it is time for something in my life to change and moving would be a fun change. I have thought about not asking, but that could turn out ugly.

So for now I will be content and wait to see what be around that corner I see coming up.

5 Comments:

  • Being one who has seen the many wonders of the world and visited places from California to Indiana to New York to Germany to England to Italy and back. There is one thing that I have learned - as wonderful as it is to visit all the exotic and beautiful places in the world, there is truly no place like home.

    By Blogger American Girl, At 4:15 PM  

  • Don't run away JRA, we love you too much here for you to do that! Sometimes I think our desire to run away comes from the feeling that it is greener on the other side of the fence. Thing is, it generally is...for awhile anyway, and then we discover there are brown spots everywhere. I guess it is just figuring out where we are supposed to be and then being happy. I, for one, am glad that so far your "supposed to be" place has been here! :)

    By Blogger C.J., At 6:19 PM  

  • The exchange between you and your Mom reminds me of this dialogue from the Bill Cosby show. I suspect most of you are too young to remember this, but let me see if I can recreate the scene.

    The daughter played by Lisa Bonet wants to withdraw all of her money and buy herself a car, which the parents are dismayed by. So they are arguing.

    The daughter asserts her independence by saying, "Come on, Mom and Dad, this is America."

    So the mother is visibly upset, but spends a few seconds collecting herself and blurts out the following line.

    "Why don't you pack your bag, leave, and DISCOVER America?"

    I thought it was classic.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 6:39 PM  

  • Unfortunately, we can't run away from life. It catches up to us eventually. I often want to run away, particularly when I face a problem that I'm not sure how to fix or am asked to go through something that I don't want. Yet, running away would only put off life for a while. I'm glad you're wise enough to know that leaving wouldn't produce the desired results, at least not without approval. Hang in there. Much love (and if you want to run away for a weekend, I'm with ya. Or, better yet, if you want to run away in the fall to Boston, you can stay with me).

    By Blogger Jeje, At 1:16 PM  

  • I think that's why I'm craving the escape into my gramma's garden. If I cant get out of the valley, at least I can pretend that I'm in paradise while I'm here.

    By Blogger Kate, At 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones