Just Rannin' Around

Friday, July 15, 2005

“Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.”
-Margaret B. Runbeck

I have put some logic behind my insanity. My concern was in reference to the recent sky diving trip that didn’t seem to thrill me. As I have tried to explain to people that I really didn’t find it all that exciting, they thought that I had to be crazy. How could anyone voluntarily step out of a plane at 11,000 feet and not conjure some type of rush? My conclusion to that question might not make any sense to anyone but me however it answers a myriad of internal quandaries.

Leaving the safety of that which was keeping me up in the air didn’t bother me. I felt comfortable that the parachute attached to the instructor, who was attached to me with 11 separate bindings, would guide me back to where I belonged in pretty much the same shape. Too trusting? I don’t think so. I was aware of the experience of the instructor and have learned from all my adventures that if one carefully follows the council of those who have authority, safety and enjoyment follow.

On further analysis, I wondered why I was so quick to determine that scuba diving was the adventure that I preferred (maybe one reason was that my face doesn’t look like something had gone terribly wrong in a recent face lift incident in pictures)!!  Sky diving lasts a total of maybe 3-5 minutes. There is no time to really enjoy passing moments. On the other hand, scuba diving allows one to be submerged for 30-45 minutes depending on depth.

Variable of time is something that cannot be traded if I really want to have an enjoyable experience. The faster it passes the less depth and detail that can be obtained. I have learned that only when one digs past the immediate is the “real” environment discovered. Creatures become comfortable enough to wonder back into production. Closeness to their lives tend to go more unnoticed. Only then is one allowed to touch and become involved without scaring them away. This doesn’t happen when the needle is buried at a screaming rate.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that I love the sensation of being under water. There is a silence that speaks volumes. The feeling of weightlessness releases pressures and inhibitions. Greetings come from all types of new friends. Nothing is lost in this world. There is so much to discover, so much worth finding out, so much to love. The only way for one to uncover any of this hidden world however is to drop into the dark depth and begin the lifetime search.

Usually I would not claim that one adventure is superior to another due to the fact that there are different things learned, seen and experienced. Although as I continue to evaluate life, I know that though they are different some are just more suitable for me. I keep saying that the next adventure has a lot to live up to, but in reality, it just needs to fits.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones