Just Rannin' Around

Monday, October 24, 2005

This weekend I decided to take a road trip down to St. George to visit my family and to attend the University of Utah vs. UNLV football game with my dad.   It is a family joke that we are going to eventually convert my dad to the true football team.  He is a BYU fan through and through, but all his children are huge U of U fans.   It is amazing what a dad will do for his children because when we left the house on Saturday afternoon to make the hour and a half drive to Las Vegas, he was dressed in his red U of U shirt which I had given him for Christmas last year.  

 

The weather was perfect (80-degrees all weekend….it's okay you can be jealous) and the game was a good old fashioned butt-kicking!   I can see a ton of potential in this team's ability.  Although there were still several mistakes and missed tackles, it was probably the best I had seen them play as a team this whole season.   At one point I even thought that our defensive line had killed their poor quarterback.  I never realized how impressive the U's student section really is (even though we are listed in the top 5 student sections in the Nation) until I saw UNLV's pathetic student section.   It was an exciting game to attend and great to see the U show up with as many fans as UNLV did in their own stadium. 

 

Sunday I stayed and went to church with my parents.  Other than to attend a baby blessing, farewell/homecoming or on vacation, I really haven't attended a family ward in over 12 years.   I could hardly sit still.  There were children running up and down the aisles, climbing over and under the benches, throwing of items anywhere from cheerios to books, and of course much screaming and crying.   Don't get me wrong there is plenty of energy in the student ward (it is called sexual tension…oh did I say that), but at least one does not have to worry about having half eaten cheerios stuck in ones hair after Sacrament meeting.   I know it will just be a matter of re-adjusting to that scene verses the one I am currently in and I will again love it (only 5 months left).

 

The drive home was an experience.  For anyone that has driven from Salt Lake City to St. George knows that it is typically takes 4 hours.   Well last night I left a little after 6:00 pm from my parent's home in order to get home at a decent hour since I had to work this morning.  However it was not going to go as smoothly as I would have hoped.  I made it about 15 miles out of Cedar City before I hit a wall of traffic.  I then spent the next hour and a half going any where from 0 – 10 mph trying to get to Beaver which is 40 miles out of Cedar City.  The cause of the slow down…..construction!!   Was there any construction actually happening…oh no, just barrels that took us from two lanes to one and merging evidentially is a huge issue for Utah drivers.  Needless to say that I may or may not have done 90 mph the rest of the way to Salt Lake in order to get home at 11:45 pm.

 

(By the by, it wasn't as bad as I make it sound.  Although it was frustrating, I just decided about 10 minutes into it that there was nothing that I could do so I sat back and listened to several CD, singing at the top of my lung and dancing which provided entertainment to the cars that were in the next lane.   Might as well make the best of what life dishes out.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones