Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Learning to walk

When I was a small child, my parents tenderly reached down and securely wrapped their fingers around my tiny hands so that I could gain enough leverage to pick myself up onto my feet. Quickly I mastered the ability to get to my feet, at which point the offer of one finger for each one of my tiny hands to grip was all that was offered as we carefully navigated around each room. Finally I was encouraged across the room to the waiting, open arms of one or the other parent, unaided.

There are times throughout my life that I can see the same process occurring. Riding a bike is naturally the easiest to parallel. However as I exam life’s situations, I can see a glaring resemblance to learning how to walk all over again.

The Crush – Fingers wrapped securely around tiny hands

When I was in high school I had a crush. This was typical for a 17-year old girl. I wanted this boy to notice me and not for just being the friend he had had since fifth grade. I stood in front of him day after day after day and although I got the hugs and respect that made all the girls jealous and the stories of every heartache, goal, ambition, and joy, I never received more than his friendship. Although I thought that my life would end (drama queen, but remember I still was in high school), I knew that what I had was secure and lasting and I would never have to question his care for me. (By the way I am still friends with him to this day and he is the proud daddy of a new baby)

The Heartache – Holding onto one finger to walk

I was racing along in life, having a grand time and not really caring what was coming around the next corner when I felt someone racing beside me. It took me a bit off guard because I hadn’t had someone running next to me in a while and I wasn’t used to the company. It didn’t take me long to really begin to enjoy the company and soon the pace was being set by joint decision. The movement of our feet continued to accelerate at incredible rates of speed that, unknown to us, were creating wind storms that would soon catch up and destroy the pathway in front of us and in which I ended up tripping. When I looked up I knew he was gone, but I was amazed to find a series of rocks preciously placed where I needed them to help me pull myself back up to standing and to keep my balance. Each rock was so unique and special. It wasn’t until recently that I even realized the significance and careful placing of each as steadying tool.

The Loss – Encouraged across the room knowing that I going to one who love me

Happiness is something that I have known my entire life. I determined that happiness is an attitude, a decision and to this day live by that principal. Knowing who I am has enabled me throughout my life to accomplish so much. I was living life to the fullest when I kept noticing that someone was watching. Blazing the trail by myself had become something to which I was very accustomed. Every once in a while someone would appear and watch for a moment and then move along, but these eyes kept appearing every few miles down the path. When he made his appearance all I could do was smile. I had been waiting for him to join me. It was a pleasant walk and I lost complete track of time which was highly unusual for me. I am still not sure what grabbed my feet and made me fall, but this time when I looked up he was gone and there were no rocks to help me up, only the encouragement that was being sung into my heart of get back up. This time I went through the whirlwinds and storms and ended up with a friendship that I will forever treasure.

Learning how to walk can be painful and sometimes we just want to sit down and cry. People will come and go from our lives, even those who are dearest and closest to our hearts. That which we can always carry are the lessons we gain from learning how to walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones