Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Straight to, no hand basket required….

 

The last couple of days I have become more and more enraged.  This isn't just my normal end-of-the-month hair pulling anger (I have chocolate for that), but the occurrence of yet more students being terrorized while at school.   As I have followed the news out of Colorado, I want to somehow give back to these students their carefree innocence of being that age.  Those are days to remember with fondness and laughter, not with sadness and terror.  

 

Not that I condone this behavior from children their own age, but at least it is a little more understandable and forgivable.   Being that age is tough with peers that can be relentlessly cruel.  So much is changing and life, in and of itself, can be harsh.  To someone that isn't fully aware of the reality of the consequences of all their actions or how it affects those surrounding them, decisions to act out of revenge or anger might seem to be the only answer.   Again, not to say that this is the answer or that it makes it okay as long as it is a teenager that has cracked, but at least it makes an inkling of sense.

 

The mere fact that a 54-year old pervert could walk into a random high school, put children up against the chalkboard and then dismiss everyone with the exception of six female students, disgusts me.   Then he proceeds to sexually assault these girls before eventually letting four of them go, killing one of them and then killing himself.  What has to be done to keep people safe in this world?   These are children at school.  We know that the teacher was in the classroom when he entered.  I have been put in a few situations that were extremely dangerous and I dare say that had I been in that classroom I would have refused to leave without everyone of those students with me.  

 

I am just bold enough that I probably would have either ended up dead or had the gunman curled up in a ball on the floor rocking and crying by the time the police entered the room.   I just don't see leaving children to deal with that situation on their own.  Where is society heading?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones