Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Life is short, love your way through it!

The funeral on Wednesday went well. As we entered in the church for the family viewing right before the chapel service, I stood back for a moment and took a quick inventory. What I saw brought a smile to my face.

In that small room were so many people that I have loved my entire life. There was a lot of hugging and laughing and story sharing swirling around. All ten of my dad’s brothers and sisters were there with spouses doubling that number. I noticed quickly that there were a lot of cousins not in attendance, but of course with such short notice and being the middle of a week such is expected. However with only the few of us that showed we still numbered close to 30 with their spouses and children. I am one of 63 grandchildren (yes that does mean an average of almost 6 children per family) and I lost count many years ago to the number of great-grandchildren. Any gathering takes one gigantic building.

After family prayer, we all entered the chapel and listened as my cousins shared favorite memories of their mom. It is always interesting to find out the little things that in any other setting are otherwise not shared about a person. We shared in lots of laughter and then happy tears as we were reminded that Grandma and Grandpa were there to meet her. We then went where the grave was dedicated and hurried back to the church (since it was freezing outside). There it was a huge party. The sound grew as everyone was getting caught up with each others lives and meeting the newest members of the family as we continue to grow and promises of getting together more frequently flowed through the room.

When it was time to go (they had to shut the lights off on us to get us out), there was more hugs, tears and promises. Dropping my parents off in Logan before heading back down to the valley, I hugged them tighter and longer than usual. I guess sometimes I forget how fleeting life is and we need to enjoy those we have around us while we have them here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones