Just Rannin' Around

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Reading myself out of this world.

I have an issue….well actually I have a whole lot more than one, but we shall stick to one for the moment. I refuse to start reading a book if I know that it is a part of a series and the series has not yet been completed by the author. I lack the patience for waiting a year or two for the next book to hit the shelves. So I will never be caught standing at a store at midnight because book three of a ten book series just came out.

I didn’t even begin reading The Work and The Glory until all nine books were out and I knew that would be the last of them. This is just a little knowledge about me that nobody probably even cared to know, but there it is nonetheless. (**Side note** I was recently corrected when I was speaking to someone about this issue---I do read the scriptures and I do realize that there is more to come and so I do read some books that are not yet completely in published form as of yet, but those are the only exception.)

Anyway....

I picked up the first Harry Potter book on Labor Day weekend. Yes, that was just a little over a month ago. I was unsure whether or not I even wanted to spend the time reading them, but have needed a make-believe world to disappear into lately and I figured that would be as good a place as any. I have been trapped in the wizarding world!

I finished book seven today. I was pleasantly surprised at how fantastic these books were written. They completely succeeded in helping me escape the reality to which I haven’t wanted to be an active participant. I was surprised that for as many people around me that have read and loved these books, nobody ruined anything for me by telling me what happens. It was a great journey.

My biggest problem at the moment is having to choose what I am going to read next. Not that I don’t have a lack of books currently sitting at my house waiting to be picked up and read, but I don’t know if I am ready to come back into real life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones