Just Rannin' Around

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

I have a friend that is preparing to ride in the 69-mile Tour de Cure next weekend. She was going to ride a 30-mile trek yesterday from the airport out to the Great Salt Lake marina then back and called to see if I would be willing to go with her. Since I am always up for an adventure, I agreed. I was not disappointed . . . we definitely got an adventure.

We knew that the weather was a bit on the risky side, but I told her that I could handle getting wet. So before we started out we agreed that only a lightening storm would turn us back. There was a strong head wind and it was pouring off and on, but the trail was paved and fairly flat so while she pushed forward I did a bit of reverting back to being 6-years old. The puddles were too enticing to pass up. Needless to say that I was a bit muddy and soaking wet and it just wasn’t from the drizzle falling from the sky.

It wasn’t until I was into the ride about 13 miles (she was ahead of me by about a half of a mile) that the sky began taking on an ominous nature. That is when the first bout of lightening, which had been keeping south of us, spread out across the sky above head. The clap of thunder that immediately followed didn’t leave me with a happy feeling. It didn’t take long until I saw my friend coming toward me and fast.

Ever tried to outrun a storm? It doesn’t work. Before too long we were trying to remember the nearest cover because the lightening was increasingly coming too close for comfort. Being on flat ground we were the tallest targets. With another thunderous roar, the clouds opened up and we were in a downpour. The winds, not wanting to miss out in the fun or to be outdone, picked up and brought the rain with stinging power into our exposed legs, arms and faces. There were waterfalls coming off of our helmets and there was absolutely nowhere to get out of the elements.

As this all came against us at once, we looked at each other and went into hysteric laughter. I honestly don’t know how we stayed on our bikes and continued to peddle because neither of us could stop once we started. It had to be one of the funniest sights.

When we finally made it back to the car, the sky cleared and we had a nice ray of sunshine to put the bikes back up on my rack and drive home. It was definitely a 26-mile ride that I won’t forget anytime soon. Anyone up for a bike ride?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones