Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, May 14, 2009

“Because life isn’t a spectator sport”

I am not what anyone would consider an athlete . . . not by any stretch of the word. However I have an adventurous spirit that doesn’t allow me to sit on the sidelines of life. I have a difficult time resisting any kind of invitation to try something new or doing things which creates a bit of trepidation.

There is one fear that I always have which causes some hesitation when accepting an invitation. My fear is never that I won’t finish or make it to the top or whatever the ending to the adventure might entail. My fear is that I will slow everyone down and make it so that they don’t enjoy it as much as they could.

Ever heard of the story of the Tortoise and the Hare? I will make it, but it will be on my time and at my pace. Physically I can’t keep up as much as I would like to. However because I am more often than not with caring individuals, at least one person always insists on staying at my side which makes me feel like I am holding them back. Although I am grateful for the company and a great conversation always ensues, it still makes me feel some guilt.

Last night I went up to Park City with a family that has decided that I am one of theirs. We went up to ride a 13+ mile bike trail. Since it was with the family I figured that I it would be a leisurely ride and I wouldn’t have any issues keeping up or holding anyone back. That is until it was announced that we would be dropped off and the parents would take the two cars to the end of the trail and meet us there. They wouldn’t be riding the trail with us. Now the oldest of their children that was with us is 11 years younger than I am and so I immediately knew I was in trouble. It was a race from the word go.

I think that luck was in my favor for the first time in a very long time. Not only was I able to keep up, but I stayed in the middle of the pack (I couldn’t keep up with the 16-year old) for most of the ride. My lungs were working for me without their normal issues and there weren’t a lot of huge hills to push them into closing down. We finished the 13 miles in about an hour and I felt great (well other than a sore behind). It was nice to actually be able to finish with everyone.

There are still so many different things that I want to do and this summer is going to be another opportunity to check some of them off my extremely extensive list. The short list of things that I would like to do this summer: I want to climb Timp. I want to go white water rafting. I want to learn how to repel (on a rope off a cliff . . . I already know how to repel men). I want to visit Bryce Canyon which, believe it or not, I have never been to see. I need more summer and more vacation hours!

Maybe I will even be able to keep up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones