Just Rannin' Around

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I don’t think about it

There are situations that due to circumstances just are the way they are. It becomes part of normal, everyday life to the person living in those situations, so much so that thought is not even given to them anymore. . . . until, of course, someone else points it out.

I have become accustomed to doing things by myself. It isn’t what I want, it is the way it is and I live life accordingly. I stopped being worrying about what other people thought of me sitting by myself in movie theatres, restaurants, church, ect., years ago. When I stopped worrying, my discomfort went away. Little did I realize that in some cases it causes other people a bit of their own discomfort.

Last Wednesday I was downtown after work. I had a meeting that started at 6:30 and so I did my normal Wednesday activity, just downtown verses driving across the valley. After I was finished I still had about 45 minutes before I needed to be at the meeting, so I decided to get something to eat. Why not, right? The cafeteria is right there and it would keep my stomach from voicing its opinions.

I had just about finished my bowl of soup when I felt a hand rest on top on my shoulder. I looked up to see the cutest, little old man gazing down with a smile to greet me. Before I could even say anything, he tightened his grip on my shoulder and said, “Why is such a beautiful girl eating all by herself?” I met his smile with one of my own and replied, “Probably because I haven’t been able to convince a gentleman just how worthwhile it is to join me yet.”

I did receive a bit of a laugh from him with my response. He then questioned where I had served my mission. When I stated that I hadn’t served a full-time mission, the smile faded and I could almost read the disappointment in his eyes. I just smiled. There really wasn’t anything that I felt like I needed to explain. After a couple of seconds he said, “Well I don’t know how you eat by yourself, that sure seems awful lonely to me!” I just laughed and said, “Sometimes you either eat alone or you don’t eat at all.” With much sympathy, he patted my shoulder and told me to have a nice evening.

Automatically I reminded myself that I was positive that he came over completely out of concern and well-meaning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones