Just Rannin' Around

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It is always darkest before dawn. So if you’re going to steal your neighbor’s newspaper, that’s the time to do it. . .

I attend an institute class on Tuesday nights. This is not the typical institute class that would automatically come to mind. It is a class that is specifically for single adults between the ages of 25-35 and there are usually about 300-400 in attendance.

I was a little surprised last night when the teacher approached me before class and said, “It is always nice to see your familiar face here.” I followed up with, “thank you” and expected the conversation to end since I figured he was just being polite. He then looked at me with that look that showed he was concerned and didn’t quite understand something. I don’t know if anyone knows what I am talking about but it always means either the dreaded question is about to be asked or there are certain comments on the way. I can usually guess which one and I immediately prepared myself for it. It didn’t come. He must have decided against it because the look left his face, we chatted for a minute and he was off to start class.

If I am honest, he has not been one of my favorite teachers. Of course I was spoiled for years with Michael Wilcox being the teacher of this class so I do have to take that into account and not be so hard on him. However I was extremely excited when I found out what he would be teaching this semester. I don’t think that I will be disappointed either. The class for the entire semester is fully devoted to the Atonement. This is a topic that I always desire to gain more knowledge and which I never have felt that I have been able to fully grasp. I know only a very tiny portion of how the Atonement applies and works. It will be a great opportunity to be able have it opened a bit more to my understanding.

Last night was just a taste of what to expect from the rest of the semester and that being the case, I had better come more prepared. A box of Kleenex will probably be needed since I spent the majority of the class attempting to hold back the tears. The Spirit was intense. Everyone should take a class on the Atonement given the opportunity. Elder Holland has stated that everything in the gospel ties back to the Atonement.

This will probably be the last time that I will be in institute. I have thought about it and since I turn 35 next year and the semesters typically tie into each other, I don’t really want to take the first half of a class and not get to attend the second half. I am a little sad about that, but I am thinking that I will probably look at working in the temple on Tuesday nights in place of attending institute. I guess I shall just have to see. I am actually not certain that with my calling they will allow me to work at the temple too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones