Just Rannin' Around

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

“No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born.” –Dr. Dale Turner

It all began when I started receiving anonymous notes on my car. To be honest, I really didn’t have a clue as to who was leaving them. They were simple and sweet. Due to some other things that were happening in my life at that time, it wasn’t unusual to find nice gestures left for me, but I knew these were in a whole different realm mostly because they were in male handwriting and because they were not signed.

I have to admit that I am a sucker for notes and letters that have been left for me to read and enjoy. The actual handwritten word means that they had to take the time to sit down and write it out and then deliver it. It carries a much deeper meaning to me. These would not be the only notes which I would receive (only I would know who they were from because he would actually sign them). For example, there was the note with the flowers left on my front door step and there was also the note sent on a Salt Lake City postcard which made me laugh because who sends someone a post card from the city they are both occupying?! I must admit that this was just a small portion of the charm that came along with this man.

We did a wide variety of activities which is always impressive to me. We went dancing. We went to sporting events. We went to plays. We went to the park. We attended the State Fair (only time anyone has ever won a stuffed animal for me). We did things with family. We did things with friends. He would make me laugh until my sides hurt. We would talk in the parking lot for hours. Or we would stay in and enjoy a movie. There was definitely never a dull moment when I was with him.

One thing that he didn’t do was kiss me. Okay, so he eventually did and then we also enjoyed that activity added to the list, but he really took time to take that step with me. I was amazed and respected the amount of self control that he exhibited (assuming that he wasn’t disgusted at the thought of kissing me and that was what was holding him back . . . not to mention he was having a great time teasing me with it) in getting to know me and wasn’t just in it for the kissing. When the first kiss happened, it only made it sweeter that I knew that there were feelings behind it and I had to hold on tight for fear of my knees giving out in that tender moment. I believe that the term “swept off my feet” is applicable to this memory.

However there was something to this man that impressed me and made me want to hold on tight. I could see a desire in his eyes to be better. I found in him a charity for mankind that I had never experienced. There was humility and honesty. There was acknowledgment and striving in his weakness. I saw tenderness in his heart. His thirst for righteousness was inspiring.

Greatest lesson learned from him was that even though trials and tribulations can leave us withering in pain and torment, the Atonement cleanses and heals those broken parts of us and we are able to move forward with a greater hope.

“As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions to the challenges of life you would not obtain otherwise. No matter how strong your faith is, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, He will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you. Your exercise of faith will forge strength of character available to you in times of critical need. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is used.” –Unknown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones