Just Rannin' Around

Friday, January 16, 2009

Calm before the storm

I didn’t get into work until 9:30 this morning. No I didn’t sleep in. Actually I was up at 6:00 this morning and into the car shop an hour later as they opened. One of the dreaded tasks that I have to be responsible for is the up keep on my vehicle. I will admit that this is one responsibility on my list that I fall very short on seeing that it gets done. Well let’s just say that the car was due for an appointment back in November and I just forced myself (or rather the car forced me by turning on the “change engine oil” AND the “service engine soon” lights on the panel yesterday) to take it in this morning. There are several reasons that I absolutely hate dealing with this seemingly easy responsibility, but that is another blog in and of itself.

Anyway, after being literally overworked the last month, it has been a shock to my system that I have had so much down time at work this week. They can’t fool me though. I know what is in the pipeline pushing its way down and it is uglier to me than a cat attempting to dislodge a hairball. Don’t get me wrong, it is such a blessing to have work to do and a paycheck to actually collect, but I still will never understand the reason why it all has to hit within the last week and a half of the month. There are better ways that it could be handled but I have come to the conclusion that procrastination is a part of human nature that is suffered by almost everyone in this industry. That or they really are trying to kill me, I haven’t figured out which one it is yet.

I have been attempting to mentally prepare myself for working 16 hour days again probably beginning on Wednesday. I still haven’t found a way to completely prepare myself for that though. I guess it is a good thing that I have Monday off to center myself and get enough sleep to help me slide through the rest of the month. It is probably also a good thing to be that busy, but doing math for 16 straight hours is a bit scary. After about the thirteenth hour the brain begins to make up creative ways to do math and it takes a lot of concentration to make sure that I don’t make 589,838.57 – 573,734.10 = 2. Okay, okay so it might not be THAT bad, but it feels like it in the moment.

Honestly I think that I might just finally be getting to the point of pure burnout. I am currently looking at two fabulous business plans. If I had my way, I would get in and get both businesses off the ground within a year and be finished with my current employment and be working for myself. Reality tells me that it will probably be closer to a three year goal since I will have to continue to work full time until I can get them off the floor and really producing. After working in corporate America since the age of 15, I am extremely excited about the opportunities that have been placed so timely into my life. I still have some additional research to do, but after Saturday I should have all I need to start one and the other one is something that I have always known that I have wanted to do and the right opportunity is just now available.

One huge blessing in my life is that I have always been able to financially take care of myself. I am hoping that these opportunities will just open that up some more so that I can also begin doing one or more humanitarian missions each year. I have already been in contact with several non-profit organizations that travel all over the world to serve. I am thoroughly giddy about this prospect. It is something that I have always had the desire to be involved in, but haven’t had the time and funds to be as involved as I would like to be. I am beginning to see the vision becoming clearer. It is definitely a push to work harder to be able to obtain that goal.

For now I have so much planned and more on the horizon. I am going to finally stop promising and actually go out and spend some time with Travis, Jamie and Thomas in New Hampshire at the end of April. Work may actually fire me because I am leaving so much in the first six months of this year! Little do they know that I am inquiring about a humanitarian project happening in Kenya this summer and could also possibly be leaving for that adventure if all works out and they need additional helping hands.

All of this has been in the works for a little over a year now with the exception of the newest business opportunity which was presented to me at the beginning of December. I was so disappointed when again I received the answer that moving still wasn’t right for me. With everything that is currently happening, I now see why moving wasn’t the best option for me. There are a lot of big dreams involved and I will either thrive or I will fail miserably (which is why I kept all of this to myself). I believe that it is worth the risk.

Nobody wants to do things that are so scary by themselves, but it is time to put on my big girl pants and make sure that I am taken care of and happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones