Just Rannin' Around

Monday, July 20, 2009

“Behold your little ones”

I have been given a plethora of blessings in my life. Yesterday I was reminded of one that I have a tendency to overlook.

In my ward Relief Society is held first. Our presidency is on the younger side (I have to say that because they are all around my age) and both the first and second councilor have a child around thirteen months old that they bring with them since they are not yet old enough to be taken to nursery. I was enjoying listening to the lesson on Charity yesterday in my typical back row seat when I noticed that the second councilor’s little boy was headed in my direction. He didn’t pause at all but came right up to me and lifted his arms wanting me to pick him up and hold him. His mom looked over and realized what had happened and immediately mouthed “sorry”. I told her at the end of the meeting that there was nothing to be sorry about, I didn’t mind one bit.

During Sunday school, my neighbor came and sat next to me with her little girl that is just under a year old. Her little girl was playing with me all during the meeting. Sacrament meeting I was sitting in the bench behind another little girl and she “talked” to me during the beginning and so I reached over and took her from her mom and quietly read her a book. During the last part of the meeting one of the little boys in the ward came and handed me a note from his mom that asked if I could come and sit with her kids while she ran one of the little boys to the bathroom. I slipped a few benches back to sit with the other three while she took the other one out. The littlest was sound asleep when she left. A few minutes after she left the little girl woke up and crawled up into my arms.

After the meeting her mom came back in and packed up their stuff getting ready to go and her daughter just looked at her. She was perfectly content to just stay in my arms. Her mom also happens to be one of my visiting teachers and when she came over later that day, she said that was so weird because her daughter won’t go to anyone but her, not even her grandma.

Children have always gravitated to me. My family laughs at me because anytime I hold a baby, the child falls sound asleep. It might be due to the fact that I love to rock babies while softly singing to them. There is something that is so instinctively natural and calming to me to have a baby curled in my arms rocking them to sleep, reading them books or having a conversation nose to nose (one of my nieces does this with me and it totally makes me smile).

It might seem random to consider this one of my blessings, but there is no greater way to feel the love that our Savior has for each of us than to be near His little ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones