Just Rannin' Around

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I guess we are all one phone call away from our knees

On Wednesday night I flew out to Boston to spend some time with Smoothie, Jamie and Thomas. My flight was supposed to arrive in Boston at 1:10 am on Thursday morning. We ended up landing slightly before the scheduled arrival time and I was happy because I knew that Smoothie was waiting to pick me up from the airport and that he had to work that morning. However we didn’t immediately go to the gate, but instead sat and waited. I figured something was going on when they started an episode of The Office. Come to find out that the gate that we were supposed to be at had an airplane that was having mechanical issues and they were trying to move it so that we could pull up. Hello! It is 1:00 in the morning, is there really not another gate available? They kept us on the plane for an additional 30 minutes (yes the entire episode, plus commercials) before pulling us up to, what, oh yeah another gate. Brilliant!

After finally opening my eyes that morning, spending some great talk time with Jamie and getting ready for the day, we headed out to Salem. The day was full of graveyards, witches and rain. I have always been interested in the history of Salem. It fascinates me that people can become so fearful that logical thinking is thrown out and hysteria follows. People intrigue me. I can spend hours watching people. Everyone has something that is just their own that makes them who they really are. Too often we take those differences and use them against that person because we don’t understand them. After seeing an entire community that had turned itself inside out destroying neighbor, friend and family relationships all out of one fear or another definitely gave me pause. How much is society different today? Maybe it just isn’t witches that we are hunting these days. I realized that I need to be more tolerant and understanding.

We didn’t sit still for very long. The next morning we were up and headed into Vermont. I think that everyone is aware that I believe that ice cream is a basic food group, so time at Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory was a little piece of heaven. They have a fun tour and yummy ice cream. We also wondered around the Ice Cream graveyard and saw some of the flavors that no longer are being made. However, some of them were working on being resurrected. That made me smile. After that we headed to another graveyard . . . . just kidding. We actually visited Sharon, Vermont which is Joseph Smith Jr.’s birth place. There I was able to see (as 2-year old Thomas can tell you) the Joseph Smith Memorial. Church history sites always carry such an amazing spirit. We basically had the entire place to ourselves and were able to really soak in that spirit. After taking a few minutes to catch a frog for Thomas to enjoy, we were on our way. We stopped to take a driving tour around Cambridge University. The campus was beautiful.

Saturday we decided to take a picnic and have an adventure at the lake. An adventure we got. When we arrived it was a bit overcast but we made the most of it and built sandcastles that Thomas enjoyed destroying and played in the water. The weather was not going to cooperate and so we picnicked in the car while a downpour occurred outside. Finally the rain stopped and we went back out to play for a while (well until the next storm blew in about an hour later). At home Jamie and I made a very scrumptious dinner, showered and then went to enjoy the fireworks. They were fabulous and a much better show than I have seen in years. I have never seen a show that has two grand finales until that night. It was great!

The next morning it was time to pack up and go home. I was sad to be going because I had such a good time with wonderful friends. It was so fun to spend time there with them. Thanks guys for making me feel at home and all the long nights sitting up talking and for letting me stay at your house and running me around to all those fantastic places and of course for letting me sing Neil Diamond for you in the car! I had a blast!!

When I got home to Salt Lake I was picked up at the airport by one of my favorite people in the world! I have never had such a grand greeting as being yelled at from across three lanes of traffic. It made me smile!

P.S. I am so excited! I just found out that my older sister is going to have another niece/nephew for me to adore and is due in February!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones