Just Rannin' Around

Friday, April 01, 2011

“There is no planning. On the night it is really great, it’s euphoria and if it is not so great, there is always tomorrow night.”

I don’t often think of myself as being a grown-up.  I know I know I should but it is something that just doesn’t cross my mind often.  Honestly I find when I think about it that I don’t necessarily put an age to myself and that I still feel like I am quite young.  After all, I still find myself doing much of the same things I always have.  Life hasn’t cycled for me in the direction that I have deemed in my mind as “growing up”.  Sure one could argue that I am plenty grown up in the fact that I have countless responsibilities, but in essence my time, my money, my space, my decisions, my things are mine . . . no sharing required.  I am not a proponent for this lifestyle as I deeply believe that life is a much more fulfilling when sharing one’s life with a companion and children, I am just making a statement as to why I don’t feel like I have become a full-fledged grown-up.

This morning I walked into work and had a flashback of a childhood memory that help put a smile on my face and a skip in my step.  It honestly made me feel like I was playing dress up and was wearing clothes that didn’t fit. 

Growing up my dad was a truck driver and my mom stayed at home with us.  When we went to pick my dad up at work we walked into a large warehouse full of paper and forklifts.  It was exciting especially when we were able to take home the ends of large rolls of leftover paper that allowed us to be creative at home.  Well mostly we would do crayon outlines of our bodies because the paper was enormous.  Needless to say we didn’t have much exposure to an office setting. 

My parents did a lot to see that we were taken care of and provided for in the best possible way.  Sometimes that meant that they did extra jobs to help bring in a little more income.  One of those jobs was to solar film (yes I was raised in the ‘80s as that is what it was called then and not something as boring as simply window tinting) windows of office buildings.  They used to take us along as they would do it on the weekends when the offices were closed and to could get into the corners of windows only tiny bodies could fit.  Bet most of you didn’t know that was my first job.

Anyway, the office buildings were a wonder to me with all the desks and phones and conference rooms and dry erase boards.  It all seemed so very sophisticated and glamorous.  Who wouldn’t want to work at such a spectacular, fancy place?!

As I walked into my office this morning that recollection hit me full force.  Anyone want to play else want to play dress up?  It is really quite entertaining.

2 Comments:

  • Oooh, I remember those days too. Oddly enough, I don't remember the conference rooms (with what in those days had to be chalk boards not dry erase boards. . . I'm just sayin') but I remember one particular office in which the women's restroom had a sitting room prior to actually entering the room with the toilets and in that room was a coat rack where one of the employees had left her coat hanging. Well, Leslie and I decided to go through the pockets of said coat and guess what we found? Nothing but a sandwich baggie full of pills. Now isn't it interesting that you grew up to work in a big fancy office with nice conference rooms and I grew up to be a therapist working with a whole lot of drug addicts?!?! :)

    By Blogger Sandi, At 10:34 PM  

  • Nope it was a dry erase board. I remember it very clearly because we all thought that it was so incredibly cool. It was the first one that we had seen. I have a fairly good memory. :)

    By Blogger B, At 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones