Just Rannin' Around

Saturday, October 29, 2011

People fascinate me. 

It has been that way since I was a very small child.  My parents had to keep a tight rein on me anywhere we went or I would disappear.  Not that I was attempting to cause them stress or even that I knew that it caused them stress, but I just wanted to talk to everyone that I met.  There has always been a draw to connect with others, to be able to, in a small way, see how they experience life.

Traveling opens up so many more opportunities for me to really hear, feel, taste, see and touch people and their lives throughout the world.  It is a gift given to me by a loving Father in heaven that knows me better than I do myself.  From all my many experiences I have come to learn that I tend to find instant love and respect for the lands and the people whom I come into contact with.  It gives me a greater understanding and testimony of the pure love of God for each and every individual on this world and on worlds without ends.

So it probably shouldn’t surprise me or anyone that knows me well that one of my favorite things about this trip was the people.  I was longing to stay rather than coming home because I felt like I hadn’t had time enough just to be amongst the people.  I know where to best spend my time next time I am able to visit.

One of the best places to be in their environment was Old Jerusalem.  I was only able to spend time in the Jewish Quarter and the Muslim Quarter.  It was entering into an entirely different part of my soul.  These people are beautiful. 

We happened to be there during the Feast of the Tabernacle which meant thousands of Jews were there to worship and celebrate.  Although we were not able to actually touch the Wailing Wall because of the massive crowds in attendance, we were able to experience something more intense and spiritual.  I believe it was the opportunity of a lifetime to witness thousands of Jews with their palm branches in their rituals.  The rabbi would read, actually more like sing than read, over the sound system verses from the Torah and then the men in unison would repeat or answer with different verses (I couldn’t tell since it was all in Hebrew).  I know need to spend some time studying the Jewish faith in order to gain a better understanding.





Walking through the Jewish Quarter, I was drawn to the children.  Life there seemed so relaxed and happy.  The one thing that I really wish I could have recorded was the children that came skipping down the street just getting out of school clapping and singing and laughing.  I just didn’t think a picture would have captured the moment preciously and so I choose instead to just experience it.



While we were in the Muslim Quarter I was supposed to be with the group but other things quickly captured my attention.  Small groups of men were gathered in circle together.  I walked closer to get a sense of these wonderful people.  As I got closer and took a seat on the steps leading up to the Dome of the Rock, I received a treasure for my memory box.

The oldest man in the circle would read (really sing) verses from the Qur’an and then the other men in the circle would either repeat or answer with different verses.  Again I couldn’t tell since I don’t speak Arabic.  It was so intimate and so rich with meaning that chills immediately ran the length of my body and I was drawn to sit and listen.  My soul was touched. 






Religion is such a personal and deep part of this world.  Our testimonies are something that so many of us live and even something for which we would die.  There have been so many wars and so much destruction all in the name of religion and yet sitting there I wondered why we just can’t just respect the beliefs of others.  I truly believe that people are innately good and that they are just attempting to live the best way and up to the light and knowledge that they have. 

I could honestly go on for volumes about the people.  It is another witness to me about everyone being a loved child of God.

4 Comments:

  • Hey! A big game is upon us. Both teams were off to shaky starts, but now are on the rise. The Utes did great against Arizona who gave us a total beatdown on national TV.

    It should be a great game!

    By Blogger David Cho, At 1:22 AM  

  • Oh, that is me - David Cho

    By Blogger David Cho, At 1:23 AM  

  • Six days and counting. Our defense has come back and decided to play . . . which always means trouble for the other team . . . they are tough! And it looks like we have a glimmer of hope that we might have a QB that can play. UCLA might be in a bit of trouble. Hopefully it is a good game. Good luck! :) Go Utes!!

    By Blogger B, At 9:05 AM  

  • Congrats on the great win. We really stank up the field. We came totally unprepared, but road games have been problematic for a long time for this time. They always come out flat on the road.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones