Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Baby steps Bob, baby steps.

No I don’t have a fish tied around my neck, in case you were wondering, although that would be a great conversation starter.

Anyway......

Have you ever been given something to do that you just never accomplished? I had an assignment that I was supposed to complete. I didn’t do it. I am going to be held responsible for not doing it tonight. I can’t remember a time when I have ever not done an assignment. I have always loved learning and doing assignments is part of that process. It makes me uncomfortable that I didn’t do the assignment, but my fear of the assignment was greater than the discomfort. However, I realize that by not doing it I didn’t get out of it. I only procrastinated the inevitable, thus just placing more time of having to deal with the fear.

It amazes me how much fear can slowly defeat us if we allow it to become bigger than we need to let it. That’s the kicker – we have the ultimate control over fear. I think that fear gets to each one of in different areas. For instance, I have absolutely no fear of talking to anyone where as this might be petrifying for someone else. There are fears of relationships, being alone, heights, spiders, germs, stepping on cracks, driving in neighborhoods with deaf children signs, and so many others that they could never be listed.

The obvious solution would be of course to release our fears. Not so obvious (at least to the one facing the fear) would be, how? In my own life I have always been told “suck it up and deal with it” and so I have a tendency to jump in with both feet……except with the fears that I can hide deep inside and which nobody except me have any idea exist. I feel safer having them there, however they are slowly winning a battle in which I must be the victor. Time to bring out the big guns and show those fears who is boss!

5 Comments:

  • It is important not to let fears over take your life. We don't want to end up like Anakin! ;o)

    Plus one thing I have learned is that by not letting the fear over take you, you overcome it.

    By Blogger American Girl, At 1:05 PM  

  • I am dealing with that very issue. Tasks mount up, but I tend to spend more time stressing about them than actually doing them. Kinda ironic, but true.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 6:20 PM  

  • I am reminded of the classic quote from FDR during WWII. "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself!" Isn't it weird that fear is just an emotion, just a feeling, and yet it is such a powerful force to either motivate us or make us cowar.

    By Blogger C.J., At 7:17 PM  

  • "fears of relationships, being alone..."

    How exactly do you resolve these two fears? Interesting that they co-exist in your fear list. If you're afraid of being alone, you would be inclined to be in a relationship...

    Unless, of course, you were afraid.

    By Blogger Pavlov Stowardi, At 8:03 AM  

  • I think fears have a tendancy to inflate themselves in my mind and become so much more than they really are. It doesn't make them any less to deal with but sometimes I just need to have someone else pull out a pin and bring that inflated giant down to its' real size. Spouses and good friends really help in that way if we will let them.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones