Just Rannin' Around

Monday, May 09, 2005

When all else fails, watch a child.

Yesterday while at church services, I was asked to direct the congregational hymns. Why they ask me I am unsure because as much as I would like to be musically inclined.....it just isn’t a talent with which I was blessed. I have to rely upon the musical lessons I received when I was but a wee lass (around 12 years old).

The meeting had been wonderfully uplifting and I had made it through 3 hymns without many problems. I stood to direct the closing hymn which just happened to be one of my favorites and one that I will sing my children to sleep at night (“Dearest Children, God Is Near You”). There were two children on the stand, one was a six-year-old boy and the other was an eight-year-old girl. They had both given wonderful talks and were followed by their parents who shared inspirational messages.

As I began to lead the music I caught out of the corner of my eye the six-year-old boy happily swinging his arm also leading the congregation in the closing hymn. I smiled and continued to watch him. He would lead a few bars and then turn to look up and watch me for a few bars while he would get his arm going exactly as I was I doing it, then turn back around to help me with the leading. I couldn’t help but smile during the entire hymn. There is just not a sweeter compliment than to have a child mimic me. It was also a gentle reminder that I must be careful in what I do for I never know who is watching.

1 Comments:

  • My favorite is when a child (somewhere between the ages of 1 to 4 years) sees another child and they sit and stare at each other.

    There's an unspoken, confused, selfless acceptance that they don't understand, driven by their confusion that they aren't the only little person in their universe. I love it.

    By Blogger Pavlov Stowardi, At 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones