Just Rannin' Around

Sunday, June 13, 2010

“Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.”

I had an out of body experience. I realize now why people shake their heads at me. I found myself in the kitchen measuring, chopping and combining ingredients together to create luscious apricot oat bars. At the same time my phone was to my ear and I was walking my mom through making wanton soup. During which I was also watching the World Cup - - USA verses England.

After slipping my concoction into the oven to bake and finishing up the phone call, I flopped down on the couch to put a wedding gift together needed for later.

I found myself completely enthralled with the game . . . . so much so that I soon realized that I was off the couch yelling at the television. Up to this point in my life I have never become so involved in any sport on television besides football. I somewhat regained control over my anxiety and excitement for the game being played a spin around the globe in South Africa in order to sit back down and finish putting the gift together.

I have to admit that I was frustrated during most of the game because I don’t know enough of the rules. I found myself seriously wishing that someone was here that could explain so that I could more fully understand. Luckily someone has explained some of the game rules and regulations to me that I knew enough that I felt justified at yelling at the television.

Really I am a bit of an anomaly. There is a gravitational pull for me to athletics and not that I have an athletic bone in my body. I thoroughly enjoy watching and cheering on people that are though. There is a deep appreciation for those that are athletic and share their talents. However, I feel compelled to completely understand the sport. I refuse to be what I call a “football skank”. Formal definition: a girl that only attends and pretends to enjoy sports long enough to “get the guy” and then suddenly doesn’t want anything to do with it ever again and gets angry when he still wants to watch or go to a game.

There is another gravitational pull for me that is just as deep and drawing . . . cooking. I love to make my house fill with sweet smells of food that could be considered intoxicating. Frankly I don’t do it enough. My dream house has an absolutely fabulous kitchen. I enjoy putting together new and exciting things to try. Sometimes they don’t always turn out, but hey failing happens and just means that I need to try something different the next time.

So there I was barefoot, my house filling with the wonderful smell of cinnamon and screaming at soccer on the television.

What universe did I come from?!

2 Comments:

  • Please tell me you posted this last night, as only my crazy kids would have me up this early on a Sunday. Also I want the recipe for the apricot oat bars (unless they have nuts, which I imagine they do, in which case bummer!). Also we missed the game but saw the high lights. I don't understand enough of soccer either, but I like the pace of the game.

    By Blogger Russ and Em, At 7:13 AM  

  • More athletic stuff for you.

    Welcome to the Pac-10..uh Pac 12.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones