Just Rannin' Around

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I am determining that as I get older, I am becoming a bigger wimp.

My family lives in St. George which is only a four hour drive south from where I live. Well, it is supposed to only be a four hour drive. The issue is there are two moutain passes that one must go through in order to get arrive in the final destination. These passes become pure ice sheets during the winter months. Travelers during Thanksgiving this year going one way or the other were meet with a eight to ten hour drive because of the weather and road conditions on these passes.

I have lived in Salt Lake now for almost 11 years. I have made the journey home in such conditions, by myself, more times than I want to count. It has never bothered me before and this year I even have a SUV that has 4-wheel drive. This year I decided that it was just too dangerous for me to be out on those roads, by myself tempting the universe to prove that I wasn't stong enough to do it again. So I purchased a plane ticket home this year. Pretty much it is a 45 minute flight in a aircraft that can only carry 20 passangers that lands on top of a mountain in St. Geroge. It doesn't stop fast enough, down you go off the side of the cliff. Doesn't that sound like an adventure?!?!

2 Comments:

  • Hey there, Just Rannin' -- Aussiegirl here. What a choice! I'm such a wimp I'd be tempted to ask Santa for a lift given those choices. But the drive does sound scary -- especially alone. An SUV even with 4-wheel drive is not much help on an icy slope in the mountains when you're alone. We'll all be on tenterhoods to find out if you made it back safe and sound. Merry Christmas to you -- hope you have a wonderful holiday.

    I enjoy reading your blog. I've been so busy with the Ukrainian crisis and personal stuff I haven't had as much time as I'd like to visit all the blogs of people I like to follow.

    Again -- Merry Christmas to you and yours -- Aussiegirl

    By Blogger Aussiegirl, At 4:30 PM  

  • Good to hear from you Aussiegirl! I hope that all is well in your world. I have enjoyed reading your blog now for months and have appreaciated the updates on what is happening in the far places and all the election coverage here and there.

    Have a safe and wonderful Christmas season!!

    By Blogger B, At 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones