Just Rannin' Around

Monday, June 20, 2005

Puzzles the mind

Situation #1: My cell phone decided to stop working late Thursday night, so I have been without since then. It amazes me how attached to it I really am. It has been driving me crazy not knowing if anyone has been trying to text message or call me. I call Verizon first thing this morning to see about switching my service over to them. Of course they were happy to help. So for the next little while I will actually have two cell phone numbers. I am under contract with another awful company until the 28th of this month and then I can port my number over to Verizon and I can carry on with life as usual. For now, I should have my new cell phone tomorrow and I will just be having all my calls forwarded to my new cell number. What a mess!! How in the world did we ever live without cell phones?

Situation #2: Rubik’s Cube. If I am working on solving it, I will not cheat by taking off the stickers and replacing them to make it look like I am doing better than I really am. Although I have never been able to completely solve that game, I am still trying. I also realize that there are people that are amazing at solving the Rubik’s Cube. It is these people that will pick it up, regardless if they know someone else is in the middle of solving it, and take over the game. I guess that I am just too slow. The other problem is once someone else even looks at the Rubik’s Cube, I hand it to them. I know that I won’t win anyway because it just isn’t a game that I have even come close to mastering. I can get two sides completed and then I don’t know what to do from there. Why are some people so skilled, others just willing to not stop trying and some of us just not able to solve it?

Situation #3: Some people just don’t have driving skills. The last few days I have encountered some incredibly stupid people behind the wheel of a car. This is my favorite however. I was driving to work on Friday with my music up and singing at the top of my lungs. I was about a car length behind the car in front of me and there was absolutely nobody within sight behind me. There was a car two lanes to the right of us and an empty lane on the left of us. Honestly, we were the only three cars for a good distance on a four lane highway. Well the car that was two, yes I did say two, lanes to the right of us pulled not only into the next lane, but cut me off to get into the lane in which I was driving. So now he was driving in between the two of us with me nearly on his bumper and trying to slow down safely. I pulled over one lane to the right wondering why he HAD to be in the only lane that was occupied and so quickly as to not wait until I had passed since there were no other cars. When I got up to the side of him, I glanced over and realized that he was too busy talking on his cell phone to even notice the stupid maneuver that he had just successfully pulled off. All the lack of driving skills had to do with said drivers not being talented enough to talk on their cell phones and drive at the same time. If you can’t chew gum and walk at the same time, why would you try to talk on your phone and drive at the same time?

3 Comments:

  • #1: When I grew up in Korea, only very rich people had phones. Today I wonder how we arranged visits to relatives. Maybe people just barged in without warning, which is what people in 3rd world countries do. Ironically relationships are said to be stronger and more lasting than what we have in this country depite the advantage of communication gadgets. On average, people are much more lonely in developed countries than they are in poor ones.

    #2: I don't they have solved "solved" the Rubik's cube. I bought a book and just memorized all the steps and learned how to complete all 6 sides. Even went to a contest and clocked in at 2 minutes 10 seconds. My goodness, that was 25 years ago. What are you doing with the Rubik's cube? Haven't seen one in years.

    #3: Hate it when people talk on the cell phone while driving.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 2:33 PM  

  • I totally know what you mean about being stuck without your cell phone. I left mine at home one day ... less than 24 hours and I went nuts.

    And about driving while talking on the cell phone - that is why they invented hands free sets. Duh people! Use them!

    By Blogger American Girl, At 3:25 PM  

  • #1 - My cell phone is currently cutting out on me every time I try to make my initial call. After that it works fine. I dread going in to have it serviced. How will anyone get a hold of me?

    #2 - I never worried about the Rubik's cube.

    #3 - I like to pull up behind some yahoo gabbing on their cell phone in the left lane on the 401 through Toronto. When they glance in their rear view mirror, I've got my hand going "yak,yak,yak". This really seems to tick them off and usually the goof will flip the bird before they move over and stop blocking traffic.
    Do I talk on my cell phone while driving? You bet. But you'll never catch up to me!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones