Just Rannin' Around

Friday, August 26, 2005

Slippery slides

I love the playground. My favorite is of course the swings and most of the time I can be found exactly in that spot. However there are times when I am a bit more rambunctious and will gravitate toward the slide. As I have gotten older, slides have become safer. When I was little my mom used to dress me in shorts and a tank top or maybe a sundress and then send me out to play. I would run to the slide, quickly ascend the stairs and before assessing the situation, plop down on the metal slide which had been gathering the heat of the sun’s rays. The agonizing scream could be heard for miles and bright red spots would quickly appear on the back of my tender, little legs.

As I grew in age and discretion, I would carefully touch the slide with my hand to determine the temperature before choosing either not to go down the slide or how to position my legs and feet in order not to have them touch the heat laden metal. Another great indicator for me was how many other children were going down the slide. I deducted that children using the slide kept it cooler and was a bit safer for me to approach without fear of hurt and pain, although past experience still told me to test the area myself before assuming all would be well.

Life experiences teach incredible amounts of knowledge. When I ponder why I feel this way or that way about certain situations, I can almost, without fail see that I have drawn off of the hard knocks of life. I in no way think that any given situation is exactly as the previous one, but when there are more similarities than not.....sit down carefully on the slide. We are given those lessons in life by a loving Heavenly Father who is trying to mold us to fit into our ultimate destiny. It is pointless unless we actually grasp and use the knowledge in future situations.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones