Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, August 13, 2009

What is your ability to act in spite of fear, in spite of worry, in spite of inconvenience, in spite of discomfort?

I think that the stars are aligned in a funk. Normally I don’t give much credence to the placement of heavenly bodies, but I am also not typically inundated with information that I don’t have any idea as to what I am supposed to do with it. I believe that it is time to create a brain file labeled “miscellaneous”.

Over the course of this last week, I have had multiple, spontaneous conversations with men who I have known for many, many years. I work with all of these men on a professional level, but over the course of time, friendships have developed. They do see a very different side of me than others due to the fact that they deal with me on a professional level. Let’s just say that the business world is one area that I don’t ever question my abilities.

There are quite a few of my clients that after having conversations all over the board, that with a flabbergasted look on their face ask me again why I am not married. After being thus questioned for probably the millionth time by a specific client, I got very bold and asked him, “I don’t know. You help me out and tell me. You were single for the first seven years that I knew you and you never did anything about it.” I suppressed a grin when he went bright red.

His explanation went to all of the usual answers.

1. My success in business, in life and in general was intimidating. He wasn’t sure that he would be able to match me and that he would disappoint me.

2. I knew too much. I knew about all his issues and problems. Not that he ever felt judged at all, but he didn’t feel that he was good enough for me at that time in his life. He didn’t deserve to have something so good in his life.

3. He had come to love and depend on my friendship so much that he was scared that he would mess that up if he pursued anything further.

4. Was terrified of hurting me. He felt like I deserved something better than him.

5. Finally, one of my favorites . . . I am the woman that is the wife and mother, not the girl that is the play toy. Dating me would mean growing up and being serious about moving forward in life. Accepting responsibility.

I will never admit as to whether or not I looked him straight in the face and called him a pansy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones