Just Rannin' Around

Monday, October 04, 2004

Slim Fast Anyone?

Strange things happen when you travel into small towns. I took a road trip to Vernal, which is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Salt Lake City. Population of Vernal: approx. 26,000.

Three of us had taken a road trip there to visit a certain building in an attempt to visit all 11 such buildings that happen to be in the State of Utah. We left on an early Saturday afternoon for our journey. We made it to our destination and spent a few hours at the building. After, our tummies made it perfectly clear that it was time for dinner. We found what looked to be about the only sit down eating establishment in the small town and pulled in. We were seated and brought our drinks. A few minutes later a little old couple (about in their late 60's) were seated directly across the aisle from us. We ordered dinner and continued to chat while we waited. Salads were brought, followed by our dinners. I was noticing that the lady was watching very closely, but I figured she was just upset for the normal reason......loud girls (no denial that I am).

Well we finished dinner and decided that we would like desert. So each of us ordered a desert and proceeded to eat them. After we were done, we went up to pay. I went first and then stepped back to allow the other two to do the same. As I stood waiting, the older couple had finished and came up front to pay their bill. This is when the bomb dropped!!

The lady touched my arm and asked where we were from because we weren't from the area. I told her that we were from Salt Lake and were just on our way back home. Her response was as follows: "Honey, on your way out of town there will be a Smith's grocery store on the left hand side of the road." Not knowing why she was sharing this information with me, I smiled and said "okay". Realizing that I had not gotten the full meaning of her message she continued. "Well, they sell slim fast and you can pick some up before you go. You girls should really look after your figures and not eat so much." At that moment my only reaction was one that she really didn't appreciate, I immediately went into peels of laughter. After I could talk again, I threw my arm around her shoulders and said, "sometimes a girl just really needs her chocolate." She was not amuzed and answered, "well you know that they carry it in chocolate flavor." I completely lost it at this point and was bent over wiping tears from my eyes as I tried to stop laughing long enough to catch a breath. We left after paying and broke into laughter at about one mile down the road as we passed the Smith's.

Sometimes in life things happen that will always put a smile on your face when you think of it.

1 Comments:

  • You know what's really good for a girls figure? Laughter.

    By Blogger Kate, At 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones