Just Rannin' Around

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

"It's not much of a tail, but I'm sort of attached to it."
-Eeyore

It is a phenomenon that I have been unable to explain. The phenomenon of which I speak is that of attachment.

Sometimes it seems to be nothing more than mere randomness. It is found, it is liked, it is kept. Whereas other times, it is so deep felt upon introduction that there seems to be a magnetic pull that will not let one deny or release the object. One walks away from the object, but feels an innate sense of loss and a consuming desire to return. There seems to be something about the object which stimulates the senses and causes excited endorphins to bounce around the brain.

What is the difference? Why is it that we can become so attached to one thing and not another?

2 Comments:

  • I think that it comes down to the fact that people get attatched to things more intensley when they feel that something can benefit them in some way.

    Most random things are merely convenient, they don't do anything for us except by possibly filling a temporary need in that period of our lives. Music, teddy bears, drawings, etc... Most inanimate objects fall into this category.

    The things we hold onto greatly usually involve another person. Whether it IS that person, or a gift from that person, or something that reminds you of that person... Those are where the deep attachments are found.

    For example:

    When I was in Mexico I didn't do any traditional tie-swapping because all my ties meant something to me. My sister (she provided me friendship) gave me one. My Supposed Future Mother-in-Law (she provided me her daughter) another. So I didn't get anything from Mexico onto which to attach.

    I still have a boutonniere from Celtic Knot's (he provides me lots of things: advice, help, friendship)wedding. And I have one of his tags too. And I have the tat.

    On the other hand, I don't keep most anything else. I don't have a blankie. I don't have a teddy bear. I'll get really involved in an album and then after a while stop listening to it for a long time. I've been known to burn pictures.

    Wow. Not every day you see a comment that's longer than the posting. Sorry about that.

    By Blogger Pavlov Stowardi, At 2:08 PM  

  • I am the queen of being attached to things... Thus the five shoeboxes full of old letters and notes, the tupperware container full of pictures and trinkets, the bankers box full of high school memorabilia, and the cupboard full of stuffed animals. What's odd is that I don't really look at any of it anymore, it's just there. I guess it's a comfort thing. I'm about to part with a lot of it though. The animals are headed to owners who'll love them more than I can. :)

    By Blogger Kate, At 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones