Just Rannin' Around

Friday, January 21, 2005

Warning out for all drivers in the Wasatch Front….dense fog

I have been driving the streets of the greater Salt Lake area since the summer of ’94 when I relocated here from St. George to attend the University of Utah. Due to this fact, I have a tendency to drive on auto pilot while attending to other matters infiltrating my mind. At times I wonder how I actually arrived to my destination because I don’t remember the drive; not extremely safe, but accomplished quite frequently.

Last night however was an entirely new learning experience. I began my commute back home from Farmington and recognized that the normal 25 minute drive was going to be extended due to the fact that I could only see about 10 feet ahead of me. It seemed as though I was actually driving through clouds. The streets that I know like the back of my hand, became foreign and unfamiliar. All concentration had to be placed on a task which is typically second nature. Apprehension began to clutch my stomach.

Approaching what I hoped was my exit, a thought hit me (it only hurt for a second) and I began to laugh. It was crazy that I was crawling along streets that could drive in my sleep. I had driven them countless times and in every type of weather. This time only differed in the thickness of the fog. Why was I having such traumatic location issues this night? When I safely reached my home, I began going through my nightly routine ending by tucking myself into bed.

Normally when my head hits the pillow, I am out cold. However, my brain kicked into overdrive as I stared at the wall. I began to parallel the drive home with my life (don’t try this at home as it could be detrimental to your well being). I came to the conclusion that no matter how many times we “drive” through the streets of life and no matter how familiar they seem to be to us, there will be times that the fog is so thick that we won’t even recognize the way which we need to turn to change to the streets that take us home. Even though we have maybe have been there, done that, the weather changes which in accordance changes how we “drive”. Speed can be increased or decreased. Attention can be slight or intense. Visibility can be crystal clear or blocked. Roads can be dry, wet, icy, straight, curved, paved, or bumpy.

The environment or situation can and does change the “roads” of life. We could be on auto pilot some days, but on others all attention must be focused where we are going or we will miss our exit. There is comfort knowing that if we miss our exit that there is another one coming that may take us additional time and pain, but can also get us to our final destination.

Just my two cents for the day!

10 Comments:

  • Uh, technically, you WERE driving through clouds...

    But a good point nonetheless. I know, because I've been missing exits all my life.

    By Blogger Pavlov Stowardi, At 1:25 PM  

  • Glad to know that I'm not the only driving through fog. I've found that fog really isn't that bad, as long as I remember that it's limiting my capabilities. Sometimes, when driving down those streets that I'm so familiar with, I keep driving along them as I always tend to and while nothing's happened on the streets, I wish it where the same in my life.

    By Blogger Jimmy, At 3:05 PM  

  • Your blog is very insightful and I've really enjoyed reading it so far. Thanks for visiting mine.

    Just a quick question. I noticed you have CS Lewis listed as one of your favorite authors, and I assume you belong to the Mormon Church (forgive me if my assumption is incorrect). Aren't his beliefs differ substantially from the Mormon doctrines? Sorry if it's a dumb question to ask.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 10:32 PM  

  • Great metaphor, JRA. Apt and astucious. Like Mr. Cho, I also assume that you belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is often erroneously called the "Mormon" Church due to your belief in the Book of Mormon, which asserts itself as a record of Jesus Christ's dealings with ancient prophets in the Americas. Am I right? I've been investigating that book for some time now, and that's what I got out of it. Fascinating stuff. It makes sense that Christ would show himself to all people, not just the Jews.

    By Blogger MDJ, At 12:00 PM  

  • Great metaphor, JRA. Apt and astucious. Like Mr. Cho, I also assume that you belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is often erroneously called the "Mormon" Church due to your belief in the Book of Mormon, which asserts itself as a record of Jesus Christ's dealings with ancient prophets in the Americas. Am I right? I've been investigating that book for some time now, and that's what I got out of it. Fascinating stuff. It makes sense that Christ would show himself to all people, not just the Jews.

    By Blogger MDJ, At 12:03 PM  

  • Great metaphor, JRA. Apt and astucious. Like Mr. Cho, I also assume that you belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is often erroneously called the "Mormon" Church due to your belief in the Book of Mormon, which asserts itself as a record of Jesus Christ's dealings with ancient prophets in the Americas. Am I right? I've been investigating that book for some time now, and that's what I got out of it. Fascinating stuff. It makes sense that Christ would show himself to all people, not just the Jews.

    By Blogger MDJ, At 12:07 PM  

  • Crap! Sorry for posting that comment, like, 36 times! The stupid Web page told me it hadn't loaded correctly, so it appeared not to have worked the first two times...

    By Blogger MDJ, At 12:10 PM  

  • Your assumptions would be correct in the fact that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. David to answer your question concerning CS Lewis.....he was an incredibly inspired man. His writings are actually often quoted by the Prophet and the Apostles that lead and guide the church. Lewis' writings closely follow the Bible and the teachings of Jesus Christ. The Bible we believe to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. Jesus Christ we know to be the Savior of the world (which includes each of us individually) and our Mediator with the Father and that through His grace we may live through the eternities with our families here on this earth and our Heavenly Father and Mother.

    Just for an example: In the Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe there are many symbolic connections with the creation found in Genesis. The information taught in Mere Christianity is inspiring and closely related to the doctrine taught by Jesus Christ, of which we believe. Lewis' writing actually closely relate to the teaching of the church. Although I don't hold Lewis as an authority, I do marvel at his extensive knowledge and deep insight.

    I hope that answered your question. If not, feel free to ask me to expound and I will try my best. Thanks for visiting my site.

    By Blogger B, At 9:34 AM  

  • Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

    I know that one of the fundamental differences between the LDS and the Protestant Church concerns the diety of Christ. As you may know, we believe that Christ as God the Son is equal to God the Father along with God the Spirit.

    This is not to stir a debate here, but just to say that Lewis was a strong believer in the doctrine of the Trinity.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 11:44 PM  

  • We do believe in the Trinity (God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost). Although I am not as well versed in the Protestant religion as I would like to be, I think that the only difference between our beliefs in the Godhead would be that we believe them to be three separate entities being one in purpose. That purpose we believe is "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39)

    I will definitely have to take some time to brush up on my knowledge of the Protestant religion. I must admit that the only knowledge I have is two world religion classes that I took in college and they covered all the major religions in a very short period of time and secular books sometimes don't get everything exactly as it truly is.

    Also, I try extremely hard to have an open mind to others beliefs and just because someone doesn't believe exactly as I do doesn't mean that things can't be learned from them. Correct principals are correct regardless of their religion.

    By Blogger B, At 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones