Just Rannin' Around

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Learning while teaching

 

I always remember being told that the best way to learn is to teach the subject to someone else.  I never fully understood that principle until recently.   The Old Testament has never been my strong suit within the scriptures.  I have spent a lot of time delving into the New Testament, The Book of Mormon and the Doctrine of Covenants, but have honestly studied these three books instead of the Old Testament even when it is the focus in Sunday School and Seminary/Institute.   It is the only part of the scriptures that I haven't read word for word, cover to cover ever.  Even more ironic is that I have taught it before in Sunday School at the young age of 19 when I first moved up to Salt Lake and received a calling to teach. 

 

I will have to put a disclaimer here……I do know the stories in the Old Testament and I can navigate around it fairly well, I am just not as apt to turn there when I am looking for an answer or preparing a talk or needing some comfort because I have a deep love and appreciation for the other three books that I have not yet taken the time to uncover for this book.   However, I have lovingly had a 2 x 4 taken to the back of my head in order to force open my eyes.  There are some amazing treasures in this book that are screaming to be discovered.   For instance, I can't believe how much information concerning the temple can be found within its pages. 

 

As I have been preparing my lessons I am beginning to see the threads that bind stories.  The doctrine has been popping off the pages and begged me for attention.   My mind has been enlightened and some corrective guidance for my own life has been gently placed in my heart.  It still surprises me that the words on the pages have never changed in my lifetime, yet the meaning of those same unchanging words have grown and developed into personal messages that have the ever ability to continue to form and mold as I do the same.    I finally understood what it meant to be the best student while standing in the position of the teacher as a discussion arose and I found myself explaining some of the same questions I had and they became crystal clear in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones