Just Rannin' Around

Monday, August 17, 2009

“Listen Lois, I know you're a feminist and I think that's adorable, but this is grown-up time and I'm the man.” - Peter, The Family Guy

This weekend included a couple of interesting twists that left me shaking my head. I was having a hard time hearing on Saturday and Sunday due to some incredible sinus pressure from allergies. I was hoping that I was just misunderstood the comment, but the look on Emily’s face told me that I had, in fact, heard correctly. At that point it took every ounce of self-control to not rip his comment (and attitude) to shreds, but it was not an appropriate venue to do such.

The Family: A Proclamation to the World states, “By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation.”

Before getting the wrong idea, let me reiterate that I have no deeper desire than to be at home raising my children and seeing that the needs of my husband are taken care of. I am doing everything possible to prepare so that opportunity is available to me when that time comes. I believe with all my heart that I can have no greater influence than inside my own home. Also, I think that one of the greatest signs of love and respect that a man can show me as a woman is to open doors for me, lead me into rooms with his hand on the small of my back, asking my opinion, finding out what I want and ordering for me in a restaurant . . . being a gentleman. Treat me like a lady and the rewards are heavenly.

However this does not mean that because I am a woman that I am incapable of doing anything else and that I don’t have any right to be out in the business world “stealing” jobs and promotions from men. Thank you for sharing this ignorant, insecure comment. It sounds like you need to turn that mirror around and look at the real problem. . . you! This is just one friendly suggestion that I have after I have had time to calm down. Oh and you might want to be a bit more careful with openly sharing such a small minded opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones