Just Rannin' Around

Friday, September 11, 2009

“Basically, the only thing we need is a hand that rests on our own, that wishes it well, that sometimes guides us.” - Hector Bianciotti

It is hard to believe that it has been eight years since the tragic occurrence in New York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania. Although we all tend to remember where we were when monumental events happen, this particular one will always stick out as one of the most memorable for me. Where was I? I was at home in front of the mirror putting on my make up getting ready for work when the first of many phone calls began to ring. However it wasn’t where I was, but where I had just been that made this extremely real for me (it also had a lot to do with why my phone was ringing off the hook all day long with people concerned about my whereabouts).

I had just returned from a week-long vacation to New York the day before. Only two days before the towers fell I had patted the side of those buildings and then to the embarrassment of those with me and the astonishment of New York business professionals, I laid down on the sidewalk next to them just so I could look up and enjoy their vertical feat. We then hopped on a ferry for a short ride. We climbed every last step until we were able to view the city from the very crown of Lady Liberty herself. We would be some of the very last to be able to do that climb for years to come. It all still seems a bit surreal to me even after all this time.

I will forever be grateful to our military and their families for their sacrifice for our freedom and our security. They enable us to get back to feeling the safety of living in this country and help others try to achieve that same goal in other lands.

God bless America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones