Just Rannin' Around

Friday, January 22, 2010

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

For the past two years I have been involved in a referral group. This is how I have been doing some extra marketing in an attempt to build a larger clientele base. About six months ago, I was approached by the Director for the State and asked if I could assume a leadership role within the organization. No pay, but my annual dues would be waived as long as I kept up with my responsibilities.

The past two weeks my time has seemed to disappear into those responsibilities. There were five additional early morning meetings starting at 7:00 (and we were asked to be there 30 minutes prior), a couple of afternoon meetings and then three after work meetings which didn't put me at home until late. The workshops were fabulous and I took away some great insight and valuable information. However, I am grateful that it is now done and I can get back to a normal schedule.

The presenter was the same for the entire two weeks. He is extremely dynamic and practices what he preaches . . . and I know this because I witnessed him doing what he was telling us to do more than once during the two weeks he has been here. I have met him on a few other occasions and this time he spent some extra time with me giving me some suggestions on what I can do to help the other groups that I have some responsibility to help.

Now before I continue, please let me state that he is married, so don't think down that line.

Have you ever had a bonding connection with someone that you couldn't explain? A connection that didn't take any work at all, it was just there? I have had this happen exactly three (a few of you will know who these are) times in my life . . . with the fourth happening two weeks ago. Again, don't think anything, one of these was with one of my dearest girlfriends. It is a phenomenon that I can't even begin to explain.

He was presenting to large groups in each of these and honestly we didn't even talk one on one at all, but the connection was there. I think I have had more eye contact this last two weeks than anyone should have in a year.

This morning was his last morning in town. After the meeting, he was busily shaking hands and telling people goodbye. I had an issue to deal with and so I stepped out of the room with a couple of people. Not two minutes later, he stepped out to make sure that I hadn't left. I know that because he found me, grabbed my arm, smiled and then went back into the room as to not disturb us.

The room was almost cleared by the time I made it back. He came over and gave me the most genuine hug that I have had in a long time. There are hugs and then there are real hugs. Hugs that make you feel how much they truly care about you.

I needed that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones