Just Rannin' Around

Monday, February 07, 2005

Swimming upstream!

I had an incredible conversation with my dad late on Saturday night. The words of wisdom which he shared with me are ones that I will add to my savings bank for days that don’t seem to be going my way.

He explained to me that in this life it is our opportunity to either build our strength or to atrophy. The only way to build strength is to have opposition. We have the choice to either swim upstream against the current or we can choose to just float on down, not realizing that at the end there is a waterfall sucking us away from all the joys of being up in the calm waters at the top.

Swimming upstream is not easy. Actually it is frustrating. There are always individuals ahead of me and they don’t even seem to be struggling to continue on their own personal journey. Then there are the individuals that just float on by that seem to just be enjoying the ride without a care. There are times I seem to get ahead and there are times that I know that even as hard as I am swimming, I never move out of the same place. Those are the times that I seem to build the strongest muscles that eventually empower me to serge forward and get out of not only that spot, but the experience to not get stuck in future spots.

Everyone may be in the same river, but we each have our own rocks, twigs, logs, force of the current, ect. with which we have to deal. It is a matter of continuing to swim forward and not allowing ones self to float downstream. I am ready for a few more class one rapids rather than these class five rapid that I have been swimming against as of late. Actually one of my class five rapids quickly dispersed to a class one when my mom came through her quintuple bypass surgery on Friday with flying colors, for that I am extremely grateful.

2 Comments:

  • Yet another epic!

    Yeah, lately I have been trying to coast through life, and get upset about bad things that happen. I think you echo what someone said before. We don't just go through life. We GROW through it. No, the person was not just speaking of growing old and gray. The person is talking about exactly what your post is talking about.

    Thanks for the post.

    By Blogger David Cho, At 12:21 AM  

  • Funny, I had a very similar conversation on Monday night... We talked about learning to channel the river. Not just sitting back and letting the river sweep us away, but finding the areas where the current isn't quite so strong and tiring.

    By Blogger Kate, At 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones