Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Junior High Flashbacks!

Last night was an experience that just made me smile and had me extremely grateful to be where I am in my life. My blind date last night was with a guy that teachings music at a local junior high. He was actually directing the play “Bye, Bye Birdie” at the school and invited me to attend the performance. I drove up and walked into the school and was immediately thrown into a time warp. The sounds, the sights, the smells, the lockers, all sent my brain reminders of being 13 again.

Junior high was not my favorite time in life, however it wasn’t the horrible experience that most people will express that they had. I had zits and growing pains, but honestly who didn’t at that age so in my mind it didn’t make me any less of a person. I had friends and no full time job yet; it was good to just enjoy being young and somewhat still fancy free. Grief I was even a band geek. That’s right, the flute for four years and I loved every parade and every performance. Make fun if you will for whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!

It was energizing to be sitting in the auditorium full of hormone raging teenagers finding for the first time in their lives that the opposite sex doesn’t carry that nasty disease of cooties. I smiled at the conversations and awkwardness of the social gathering. It was a treat to get to spend some time in that environment again.

After the play, which was really well done might I add, I still had no clue what my date looked like, nor him me. So I stayed in my seat until there were only about four others left in the auditorium. I decided that he was probably out greeting people as they left since he was the director and that is what is typically done. As I walked out, much to my extreme joy, I saw a face that I know and love and haven’t seen in close to seven years. He greeted me by screaming my name and wrapping his arms around me in the biggest bear hug. We talked for a while before he asked me what I was doing at the play. I explained my situation and he just smiled. He then took my hand and introduced me to my date for the night.

I wondered around as he cleaned up a bit and then we went to dinner. He was a nice guy and there was good conversation. After he said that he will call so that we can go hiking sometime. Overall there aren’t any complaints. It was fun and a breath of fresh air to not have a blind date go horrible.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds like you had a great time. Could you write about the blind dates that went horribly?

    By Blogger David Cho, At 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones