Just Rannin' Around

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Chivalry is not dead!

 

Growing up I have watched my dad open doors, carry bags, offer his hand/arm, walk closest to traffic, sit on the edge, lead with his hand on the small of the back, and countless other acts of simple service to my mom that screamed respect and love.   My dad also did these for us, his daughters and taught his sons to do the same.  We were taught to behave like ladies and were in turn, showed how ladies should be treated (of course all rules aside while engaging in a round of WWF).   Sometimes I worry that my expectations are too high because it just isn't the same with our generation as it was with our parents. 

 

Every once in a while, my hopes are restored!  I was out the other night and doors were opened.   Last night we had a bit of snow that covered our cars as we were attending the temple.  I started my car to warm it up and as I was about to step out to clean the windows, I was met by a gentleman with a scraper in his hand and I gratefully waited in my warm car as he cleared them for me.   Then just this morning I was walking toward the building in which I work and another gentleman waited patiently at the door when he saw me coming and got not only the first set of doors for me, but also the second.   I only hope that my smile and "thank you" that they get encourages them to continue such a pure act of service. 

 

Call me old fashioned, but I truly love feeling that someone is taking care of me.  I don't think I will ever understand women who think that they have to do everything for themselves.   Don't get me wrong, there is much to being said about being self reliant and independent (two things I have demonstrated in my own life to the point of being a negative at times).   I don't think that women should be helpless or brainless (that is just annoying), but I do believe that any woman with a brain will allow others to do kind acts of service because she is a lady.  

 

This may not make any sense to anyone else, but it is something that is incredibly important to me.  So I just wanted to thank all of those gentlemen out there that still take the time to treat a lady as she should be treated.   It is noticed and much appreciated!  Thank you!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones